Tuesday, July 05, 2005

FAMILY: AIN'T THAT A KICK IN THE HEAD?

It seems like only once in a while I find a member of my family I can really connect to, or who appears to find me slightly above average in the grand herd of Smiths. Ray is one of those individuals: he is, without fail, the uncle who seems to have always had an elevated affection for me and my progression, despite the fact that he rarely deems to show it outwardly. He is (so I have come to believe) genuinely concerned for my future, and for the person I am starting to become.
I need people like that around me. God, I do.
As we said our scattered goodbyes this evening, he grabbed onto my hand for just a few extended seconds. Nothing monumental, but we had already parted ways until our next meeting, and it seems as though he felt the need for one last lapse of contact.
One single gesture, a few seconds of my hand in his, and it was finished.
It was unbelievably encouraging, especially because I don't seem to get that same attention from any one of my extended family members. Not to mention the fact that he's always been the enlightened, exceedingly humorous one that seems to mesh well with my own temperament. Yet, we hardly ever speak, let alone see one another.
But he cares. And for me, that's enormous enough.
More updates to come, none (hopefully) as sentimental.

No comments: