Saturday, April 16, 2005

SATURDAY IN THE PARK WITH PAUL AND CYNTHIA.

(Move over, Sondheim.)
I have to admit, this afternoon was, without much doubt, the most fun I've had in a long time. Pitman was a riot: We heard "The Machete Story" for a second time, "The Hook Story" (in a new light), "The Homecoming Story," "The Meeting Tom Story," (I missed) "The Prom Story," and many more than I care to mention. Let us just say that it was an afternoon of Literary Merit.
And then, to top off all great storytelling, Plyler took me to The Gap.
The Gap.
We were heading toward Starbucks and, as all trips to coffee shops inevitably do, I was pulled into an egocentric clothing hell-hole, with their number-one customer as my guide.
He browsed, perused, scanned; he was in his element.
Distracted by the pretty lights and colors, I, on the other hand, fell by the wayside, and stumbled into the Sale section. It was my only salvation, despite the fact that I "partook" in none of it.
Finally, he told me it was time for coffee, and I was off like a rocket. After all, he was the professional. When Plyler says that you've spent enough time in The Gap, you have officially spent MORE than enough time in The Gap.
(It's how these things work.)
It was just genuinely nice to spend an afternoon with people I don't necessarily communicate with on a regular basis. "Sure, we have six classes together, but I've been convinced (since Freshman year) that you're a psycho-biatch. Instead, we take a Saturday off, enjoy ritzy Winter Park, and throw neon-orange Koosh Footballs. Now, we're the best of friends."
A nice change of pace, I think.

No comments: