Tuesday, March 08, 2005

ADMISSIONS ESSAY

Without much trepidation, I consider myself a unique individual: I am outspoken and ambitious, yet the Myers-Briggs definition of an introvert. Passions of my existence include more than a few "normal teenage" idiosyncrasies, including (in no particular order) show tunes, classical literature, grammar, and juggling. Slowly, and without my permission, writing has leapt up and become one of the true joys of living, and I aspire to babble in the traditions of Dave Barry and other tactless specimens at some far away point in time. (In a rather desperate attempt to further my journalistic career over the summer, I applied to a sports-writing institute through The Orlando Sentinel, where I was promptly informed that I was ranked eleventh out of their ten winning finalists, and the only of fifty applicants without "previous athletic experience" beyond 'marathon writing'.)

Much to my own introverted dismay, I have forever felt a calling to leadership, be it within a church, peer, or academic community. My parents, youth ministers with the Catholic Church from before the days of my livelihood, had long ago implanted deep within my mind the seeds of humanitarian productivity, and the innate draw towards service, something which thrives ever more vehemently inside me today. I credit my persistence to those two noble beings, as well as the insight of several extremely motivational and influential advisors. Through their aptitude and guidance, I have great desire to make something out of myself, and more importantly, assist society at large. Exactly how I plan on doing so, I am, honestly, not sure.

But, I think that's where Flagler steps (rather precisely) into the picture.

Theatrically speaking, I have spent years technically entangled, directorially seated, and in a Stanislavski state of mind. I feel a great awareness of myself as a "theatre geek," yet I know the mental and spiritual development my work in the theatre has brought about in my life. To be on the stage is a dream, but overshadowed magnificently by the desire to influence, direct, and guide. I know the opportunity provided through Flagler's "well-rounded" theatrical curriculum is precisely what I need to attain those goals.

I have always been drawn to communities of rich culture, historical significance, and vitality that simply cannot be found in a majority of collegiate settings. For me, the city of St. Augustine and Flagler College offer me a grand combination of all three. Living on the outskirts of Orlando for the past seven years has given me a genuine appreciation (if not toleration) for the excitement of a tourist population and transient lifestyle, and both of those elements have become increasingly attractive to me, promising a college experience that will be familiar, yet new and exciting, as well as educationally enriching. (To this day, my few career goals happen to include guiding a "Ghost Tour" along St. George Street. Immature? Perhaps; but who wouldn't want to gallivant in costume, carrying an enormous lantern?) The vibrancy of St. Augustine is a rarity indeed, and, coupled with the majesty of the Flagler campus and the inviting array of curriculum in theatrical, English, and theological studies, is an educational opportunity one such as I cannot bear to pass up.

I genuinely hope that I shall be given the opportunity to explore, grow, share, and enrich the Flagler College community in the coming years.

No comments: